2020年6月7日日曜日

死生観と儚さ 6


Clinical implication

 What Freud referred to as the “foretaste of mourning”(1916) is the ideas and sensations that we tend to avoid in our mental life. As Freud later abandoned the idea of thorough mourning that he initially appeared to have insisted on his “friend” (1916) we can only transiently accept the fact that we might eventually lose what we currently possess, including our own life. It might also be true that for most of us only by pushing aside these unacceptable thoughts we live our daily life without overwhelming anxiety. If there is any place where we are reminded of them, it should be in the analytic space, where our defense is to be under scrutiny for the purpose of better knowing about ourselves. Of course, what is pushed forward in our consciousness can be pushed back again, and this constant and fluctuation occurs when we get in and out of our analytic frame of mind.
Within this context, I have been having a difficulty working with patients with persistent suicidal ideation. Although I do not feel comfortable giving them any impression that I am actively encouraging them to pursue their idea, it often happens that if they feel that I avoid discussing the matter in a straightforward way, they no longer want to discuss their suicidal plan and move on with their own plan of executing it. Some of these patients had changed their therapists each time they felt that their therapists are avoiding the discussion of the very matter, and they found seeing them meaningless.
I particularly remember one of my early cases, Mr. A, a middle-aged man who was severely depressed with suicidal ideation after his wife left him suddenly. He lost his job and got hospitalized for his serious wish to kill himself. Although this event occurred five years before my fist meeting with him for the analysis, he was still suffering from the emotional pain, despite that he regained a full-time job as a driver and he was apparently well adapted to the society. He stated that his life is never the same and he was “just living”, without any particular hope or purposes in his life. He is driving daily on his job, but he never wore a seatbelt and allowed himself to drive recklessly, which he meant as a way of passively attempting to kill himself.
Mr. A’s wish to live practically disappeared after he was forced by his ex-wife to sign the divorce paper. For him, it was enough to lose his purpose of life, at least to himself. If a woman who swore to God never to leave her husband and stay together until “death do them part” but decided to abandon him for another man so quickly without any explanation, what else could he believe. However, Mr. A was also puzzled by his own rather extreme response to this abandonment, as he had some experiences of separation and abandoning and being abandoned with his ex-partners. Mr. A was at a loss why this divorce meant something totally unexpected and meant such a harsh blow to him.
In our analytic sessions, I keep listening to Mr.A’s various plans of killing himself, which was enormously varied in terms of measures, locations and timing of executing it, besides not wearing a seat belt. Gradually his suicidal ideas became mingled with his strong urge to harm or kill his ex-wife. He stated that he tried to avoid any information about his ex-wife, as anything related to her might prompt him to come up with a detailed plan to take revenge on her. At least some of his suicidal plans were revealed to be those initially directed toward his ex-wife, then turned to himself.
In the analysis his severally devalued sense of self is understood and processed, which was rooted deeply in his relationship with his mother. His ex-wife reminded him of some aspects of his mother, at least on an unconscious level. When he got married, he felt that he can develop some fantasy of reunification with his mother, or even that of a return to the womb. A couple of years into our analytic process, he slowly gained his wish to continue to live. He began wearing his seatbelt while driving. When he began his work with me, the length of the analysis for 3~5 years appeared to him as almost an indefinite period and began our analytic journey with much interest.
Mr.A was a highly intelligent man with three bachelor’s degrees of science. He was fascinated by quantum physics and his accounts of various topics also fascinated me, such as “Schelinger’s cat” and newly budding theories of “quantum entanglement”. Mr.A regained his interest in scientific reading, and read avidly while I was on vacation to my home country.
It turned out that there was a strange coincidence in our relationship, as my home country (Japan) is where he spends a couple of years when he was small while his father was working for one of the navy bases in Japan. We happened to have spent our youth very close-by on the other side of the globe long before in our analytic relationship.
Four years into the analytic process, he found a partner that he believed that he can restart his life again. That period coincided with our discussion of our termination within a year or two. In a sense, his seeking a new relationship might have been his own way of dealing with another potential blow to his life. 
Many aspects of Mr. A’s life were highlighted and discussed during our six year period of analytic work, until we began discussing the issue of termination, which meant something special for both of us. Mr.A learned by a grapevine that I would leave this country for good soon after our termination. I acknowledged that I was about to leave the place where I spent most of my professional life. My going back to my home country without any plan to come back practically means that we would never see each other in our life. I was considering this small city as my second hometown, and once I leave here, my friends and colleagues would feel that I am gone forever, like a dead person. I felt that I was in a limbo situation between life and death, and that strange sensation might have some impact on our analytic process.
Mr. A stated that through the analysis I gave him some reason to live, and it is strange that the termination seems to mean something of a grief process. As we talked on and off about our separation, it might mean that we have each other’s image in our mind and live together for the rest of our life, as it is easy for both us to put the other in a place that we once spent in the past, for me in the small town, and for him the American base near-by.
After I returned to my home country, I received a mail from Mr. A. He stated that he got exhausted of his relationship with C who grew more and more emotionally clingy to him. He was very amazed that he found himself in a position of saying good-by to his partner, something that he dreaded being done to by his partner again. I felt that Mr. A’s saying goodbye to C meant also that he has mostly done with his grief work from our relationship.
 Twenty years have passed since our termination and I have never heard of or about Mr.A ever since. I never gave him any communication, including any greeting messages. However, in my mind he is not absent, but rather a present with full potential. He could be both alive and dead and unmarried and married at the same time, like the “Schlesinger’s cat”. He might have no idea if I am still alive or not, but I hope I am still living in his mind at its fullest, despite, or rather because of the lack of any information about myself. In a sense we keep our “anonymity” to each other so we can enlarge our transference-like fantasy, “after the fact (après-coup)” (Freud, 1895a, 1895b, 1918).

Freud,S (1895a) A Project for a Scientific Psychology.
Freud,S (1895b) Studies on Hysteria.
Freud,S (1918) From the History of an Infantile Neurosis